Content provided by: Laura Galvin, Property Manager, Shorenstein Realty Services
The opportunities to encourage tenants to “go green” in tenant services are wide ranging. Here are just a few ideas of things building owners and managers can do to educate and encourage tenant participation.
- Encourage tenant companies to implement an environmentally preferred purchasing policy for their office.
- Encourage the use of reusable dishes and utensils for all tenant suites.
- Recommend that tenants place recycling containers at every desk, not just in copy areas.
- Maintain a list of second hand furniture supply vendors to recommend.
- Provide a comprehensive recycling program for tenants to participate in.
- Host periodic e-waste recycling events to divert unwanted e-waste ending up in the landfill. Ensure that a certified E- Steward is used. An E-Steward is verified as a responsible recycler, ensuring that all contents are handled safely and toxic waste is appropriately addressed. See http://e-stewards.org/ for more information or to locate a certified E-Steward in your region.
- Implement collection drives for repurposing of other items that your tenants may otherwise throw away. Collection drives can be held for the benefit of schools, shelters or other nonprofit organizations. Reach out to a local nonprofit in your area to see what kinds of gently used items may be helpful to them.